Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Taco Tuesday: Salsa Verde Pork Tacos

I typically like to spend the last part of my weekend cooking and baking. Why? I love being able to come home at 7PM and whip dinner together in a matter of minutes. If I don't do this, I end up making instant mashed potatoes or resorting to our local taqueria.

What did I manage to do this Sunday? I sorted receipts for taxes (30 min), read my Google Reader, went to a friends house, watched two movies, cleaned a bit, walked the dog and microwaved soup and made a grilled cheese sandwich. I almost forgot, I put pork butt into a crock pot with some other ingredients to make the best salsa verde pork tacos that I've ever had. Alas, it was so easy I didn't take pictures.

Not my typical Sunday but so far I'm happy with the outcome.

Recipe adapted from Sunset.com

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder (pork butt)
1 jar of salsa verde-I bought mine at Trader Joes
1/2 onion chopped
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp dried oregano
6-8 corn tortillas
1/4 c chopped cilantro

*Pork shoulder is typically sold bone in, I bought a larger piece of pork shoulder and cut it in half (awkwardly around the bone) and froze the rest for later. I recommend next time just buying your pork butt without the bone and chop it into quarters, it will cook quicker and you don't have to buy it in such a large hunk.

Trim the fat off of the pork butt.

In a crockpot toss in the pork butt, pour in almost all of your bottle of the salsa verde saving the last bit for garnish. Add in the chopped onion, chicken broth, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and dried oregano.
Turn the crockpot onto low heat and cook for 7 to 9 hours.

The meat should fork apart easily. Remove any extra fatty pieces.

To ensemble your tacos put a layer of shredded pork into the tortilla, spoon some salsa verde over the top and garnish with chopped cilantro and minced red onions. .

Please make this tomorrow, or even better . . . for your Super Bowl gathering!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates