Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Taco Tuesday: Ground Turkey Tacos (like the ones your mom used to make)

There is one staple that we always had in our home when I was a kid and that was tortillas. Corn tortillas, flour tortillas, burrito sized tortillas and even sun dried tortillas. On any given day, if you are ever a guest at my parent's house, look into their fridge and I bet you $100 that they have both of those items. Make it $1,000.

It has been a family joke for years but my mom is a compulsive tortilla buyer and I adopted that habit. The only difference is I only eat corn tortillas and I buy mine at Costco and stick them in the freezer.

This taco Tuesday I decided to adapt my mom's recipe: ground beef, Lawry's taco seasoning packet, cheese, hot sauce and stewed tomatoes. I'm sure you've had them before.

Ingredients:
1/2 package of ground turkey (or 1/2 lb)
1 bell pepper chopped
1/4 onion chopped
1 jalapeno chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp  paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2/3 c tomato sauce
cilantro, shredded cabbage and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish

In a hot skillet with oil pre-cook the ground turkey breaking apart the pieces with a wooden spoon. Pour out any liquids left over from cooking.

Add in the chopped bell pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic. Saute until the onions are transparent.

Next add all of the herbs and spices. Depending on the heat you like you can always add more cayenne pepper.

Add the tomato sauce and cook on medium heat until the meat has soaked up the spices and tomato sauce. Set aside with the shredded cheese and shredded cabbage and enjoy a really easy meal and just call me Jacqui Crocker.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates