Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Brunch: Cinnamon Challah French Toast

We'll be talking about this today:                              


 But I want to go over this first:
Bread cubes tossed in butter-my future stuffing
The frantic Thanksgiving is not so frantic this year. I have a 4 day schedule on how I'm going to get Thanksgiving dinner for 8 ready and on the table by 4PM this Thursday. Here's the plan:

Tonight: Cut up vegetables and butter and toast bread cubes (to be used in stuffing later)
Tomorrow: Bake the pecan and pumpkin pie, start the brine for the turkey
Wednesday: Bake the ham, prep the rest of the food so it is cut up and ready to cook
Thursday: Take the turkey out of the brine, put it in the oven, tackle a 30 mile bike ride, come back home, clean up, make the mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, sweet potatoes with apricots and bourbon, heat up the rolls, put everything on the table and I'm good to go.

I forgot, I'll be drinking wine every night as well.

Since we have a short week with the holiday I figured it would be fine to post my weekend brunch a little late. Just to warn you, I buy my cinnamon challah at Trader Joe's, but I have a hard time not tearing off a piece of bread and snacking on it before I get home. It tastes THAT good.

Cinnamon Challah French Toast

Ingredients
4 slices of cinnamon challah bread
3 eggs
1 cup of milk or half and half
1 tbs vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 dash of nutmeg
2 butter

Pick a bowl that will fit a slice of bread in the bottom. In that bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until thoroughly mixed.

Turn your stove on medium high and melt the butter in the skillet. In the meantime, soak your bread in the milk and egg mixture. Make sure to flip the bread over so both sides get even saturation.

Once the butter is melted, put your soaked bread onto the skillet, you should hear it sizzle. (If you don't your skillet isn't hot enough)

Cook for about 1 1/2 minutes until the bread looks golden brown and flip it to the other side. Cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until the bread is golden brown (If you see any liquid from the egg mixture, cook a while longer)

Repeat this with the three other slices of bread. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, orange slice and syrup. Whipped cream is optional.
Mimosa anyone?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates