Saturday, January 1, 2011

Weekend Brunch: Malted Waffles

Waking up after New Years Eve wasn't too difficult this year; however after one drink, I still craved grease from eggs and bacon and the taste of a hamburger and fries (which I ended up having later on in the day). Instead, I made waffles instead for my husband who didn't have the pleasure of being the sober driver.

Lucy was tired from waiting up for us all night.
I've been hearing people rave about malted waffles. At first I assumed the "malt" in malted waffles was the type of malt in Ovaltine or chocolate covered malt balls, but it turns out that the "malt" in malted waffles is a superior combination of flour, cornmeal and malt that makes infallible pancakes and waffles. I never figured out how to make them from scratch so when I came across Carbon's Golden Malted Waffle Mix at Cost Plus World Market I figured I'd give it try.

The results: I personally thought the waffles were great. The exterior had a perfect golden texture and the inside was soft and spongy. The waffles tasted less sweet than I'm used to, but I'm sure that could be altered, plus it is so easy! With most waffle recipes you have to beat egg whites until they are stiff. This waffle mix leaves that out of the equation.

My husband on the other hand thought that my waffles from scratch were much better. Maybe his New Years Resolution is to win brownie points with me.



Ingredients


1 c. malted waffle mix5/8 c. water (1/2 cup plus 2 tbs)
1 egg
 2 tbs melted butter

Mix together the egg and water. Add the flour until well incorporated and stir in the melted butter.
Ladle about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup into the waffle maker and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes.
This was way too easy, I feel like I'm cheating. I promise my next post will be more elaborate. 
 If I was compelling enough, you can find the waffle mix at Cost Plus World Market.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates