Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend Brunch: Chilaquiles

Looking at breakfast options at restaurants such as eggs benedict or huevos rancheros always seemed so foreign to me. I have this tick with eggs, I don't like them runny, soggy or sloppy. My grandma would always say that I like my eggs dead. My tick was so bad that I typically stuck to the same staples at restaurants: pancakes, waffles or omelets. You could imagine my husbands surprise when I ordered chilaquiles at our favorite breakfast spot a couple of years ago. Chilaquiles is a dish that uses old corn tortillas soaked in a ranchero sauce served over eggs and garnished with crumbled queso fresco, diced red onions and cilantro.
Sadly, a couple of months ago our favorite breakfast spot closed so I've been forced to make chilaquiles on my own.

Chilaquiles

Ingredients
1 tbs butter
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 white onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 c tomato puree
1/4 c chicken broth
3 tbs diced green chiles
2 tbs olive oil
2-3 old corn tortillas
2 eggs
1 tbs salt
dash of pepper

In a skillet on medium high heat melt your butter. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper, onion, green chiles and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes until onions are transparent.
Our the tomato puree and chicken broth into the skillet and stir all of the ingredients together.
Cut the corn tortillas into small triangles or strips. On high heat pour olive oil into the skillet. Toss the corn tortillas into the skillet and toss around until they are golden in color.

Place the golden tortilla strips into the sauce and carefully fold them into the sauce.
Scramble or fry an egg and place on a serving dish.
Spoon the sauced tortillas on top of the egg and garnish with crumbled queso fresco, diced red onions and cilantro.
I love my chilaquiles with a side of refried black beans

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates