Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend Brunch: Homemade Maple Bacon Donuts

Ever since I started this blogging thing, I started saving 4-6 recipes to try out during the weekend. Not only does the weekend allow me to test, taste and remake recipes but from my experience pictures taken during the day look so much better.

I was an art minor in college and spent my time with botanical drawings and painting landscapes. I regret to this day not making the time for a photography class. So here I am, learning day by day what makes a food shot look styled and professional. Obviously my end result is to make you want to try my recipes. A couple of things I'm trying out: white plate & white tablecloth. Let me know what you think.

A more important topic on the agenda, donuts. I've been eyeballing this shortcut donut recipe for a while. I was motivated to make them as a going away present for a friend/follower. I hope she enjoys them.

Homemade Maple Bacon Donuts Adapted from Serious Eats
Ingredients:
1 roll of biscuits (I used the Trader Joe's brand)
8 cups of vegetable oil

Maple Glaze
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla

2 cooked slices of bacon crumbled

Tools: 1 dutch oven or wok, chopsticks or thongs to flip the donuts and an oil & candy thermometer

Deep frying foods has always been intimidating to do on my own. I feel most comfortable using my wok to deep fry foods but just make sure whatever you use is tall enough so that the oil doesn't spill over.

Pour 8 cups of oil into your deep frying pan, turn heat on high and prep the donut dough while the temperature of the oil rises.

Unroll the can of biscuits, I love the popping noise that the container makes when you break it open. Do your best to keep the dough in a nice circular shape. Cut out the donut holes using a cookie cutter or something similar in shape (I used my Sigg lid).

Once the oil registers 350 degrees on the candy thermometer begin to gently drop the dough into the oil. Fry about 3-4 donuts at a time depending on the size of your pan.

Fry the donut for about a minute and a half and using chopsticks or thongs flip the donut onto the other side. Cook for another minute and then transfer the cooked donuts to a paper towel lined plate.

While frying the donuts, mix the glaze in a small bowl. Stir together the powdered sugar, maple and vanilla until you have a smooth glaze.

Once the donuts are done, dip the top half of the donut into the glaze. Set aside on a plate and sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the donut glaze.

Eat with coffee. High consumption of donuts will motivate you to go on the longest run you've ever been on.

3 comments:

Mimi lil' Bit said...

Jacqui, thank you so much for these delicious morsels of goodness! I must say, that they were way better than the $3 donut from dynamo (and it's always a plus to see your smiling face instead of the hipsters behind the counter!)It was such a great send off, perhaps one day I'll be able to return the favor!

Unknown said...

Ty for the recipe, greetings from mexico!

Unknown said...

Ty for the recipe, greetings from mexico!

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates