Thursday, December 2, 2010

Turkey and Rice Soup by Michele

Thanksgiving night I rapped my turkey carcass up in foil and shoved it in the freezer for a rainy day. Thanks to Jacqui's last post, I decided to use it for turkey broth. Unfortunately, my eyes were bigger than my biggest pot, because the carcass didn't fit. I ended up having to hack what I could off from it so that it fit. I didn't have any veggies left over from a veggie platter, so I just threw in what I had; white onion, celery, and carrot (or in a single word, the mirepoix). I covered with water as directed and let it boil.


Once the veggies went limp, and the liquid became golden, I added some salt to taste, and then strained the contents. At this point, my whole apartment smelt like a turkey sandwich. From there, I decided to turn it into a classic broth soup.


In order to keep it nice and simple, I focused on only using a limited number of ingredients. Because I used the classic mirepoix for the broth, I chopped up a fresh new batch of onion, celery, and carrot for the soup.


~ 10 cups homemade turkey broth
2 stalks celery, 1 carrot, 1/4 white onion chopped
1 teaspoon fresh herbs finely chopped (rosemary, thyme, sage)
2 cups cubed turkey
1 cup brown rice

First, I added the mirepoix and rice to the broth. Once it came to a boil, I added the chopped herbs, which were left over from Thanksgiving. I kept this covered and simmering until the rice broke and became soft. At this point I added the cubed turkey, and let it simmer about ten more minutes.


The result was a very simple soup great for a cold rainy winter day. If you don't have a turkey carcass laying around, try doing this with the carcass and meat from a rotisserie chicken.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Two Can Skillet © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates